Thursday, October 22, 2009

Adah Turns Two

Adah Love,

I can hardly believe that you are two years old! When I look back at pictures from 12, 9, or even 6 months ago, I see the “littleness” of you that is now somehow absent. You are still little, but everyday you seem like you get bigger, more mature, more adventuresome, more knowledgeable … more you. And we, your parents, watch you grow (with a bit of reluctance and a great deal of admiration).


You are a sweet, sweet girl with a generous spirit that is quite unlike most other kids your age. Whenever I set your sister down, you always bring her toys to entertain her, setting them on her belly saying “Here Lila.” And when your sister cries, you rock her chair while singing her name to calm her down. And when we are at the park and you notice another child wanting to play with whatever treasure of a toy you have found, you often offer it over without prompting or protest. You have your challenges as you enter this two-year-old phase of your life, but possessiveness is not one of them and for that I admire you.

You also continue to revel in your desire to be helpful. The other day when I came to pick you up from pre-school I noticed you swiffering the floor under the snack table with such determination. Your teacher explained, “If I would let her, she would do this all day!” Apparently you have found jobs to do at school too!

Your language has really exploded these last few days and sometimes you really take us by surprise with your new words. For instance, you belted out the word “CAKE” with such clarity and enthusiasm the other day in the store … how appropriate to learn that word just before your birthday! Also, about a week ago your sweet little voice called out “HOME” from the back seat as we rounded the last corner in our neighborhood and came into view of our house. I am glad that our home is something you look forward to! Some of my other favorite new words include: owl, yellow, purple, play, pool, Elmo, & Ohhhh Kaaaaaay.

You also continue to have a particular way of doing things. My favorites of late include:
  • You raise your glass at every meal so that we can clink them together and say “cheers"
  • You must make sure everyone takes their shoes off and YOU get to put them in the shoe closet.
  • On a related note … you look your Daddy up and down each morning and then pick out appropriate shoes for him to wear … and, to our amazement, you get it right 99% of the time.
  • You sometimes sing along with a tune on the radio or a cartoon jingle. However, if I join in with you, you often shoot me a sharp look and definitely say “no,” as in “this is not something you get to do, Mama.” Still, your backseat “la, la, las” bring joy to my days.
  • When your Daddy goes to work, you sit on the step to the garage, wave goodbye, and blow him kisses. You also wave and blow kisses to all the cars that drive by our house, including the garbage trucks.

I can’t say that these days are without their challenges. You are two, after all. You do whine, test boundaries, and (consequently) spend time in hallway “time out” spot. I have learned, particularly with your whining, that you have quite a bit of stamina in you. It has been my challenge to keep my cool in these times and be the non-anxious presence you need. I have to say that I am still mastering this skills.

On the flip side of that coin, you have been cuddlier than ever before. You will sometimes come up and ask to sit on your Daddy’s lap … and will even stay there for more than a few seconds. You are also very free with your kisses and hugs, which we love, but has taken some visitors by surprise.

Every night when your Daddy puts you to bed he tells you that you are smart, beautiful, kind, helpful, and funny. I hope that you will always believe him.

1 comment:

Harriet Chessman said...

oh, this is such a beautiful letter to Adah!! (Happy Birthday, Aday!) You guys are the most loving parents in the world.